If you're reading this message right now, you're alive. Be thankful for another day of life.
Thanksgiving is in two days, so I knew I wanted to write about gratitude this week. But if I'm honest, I've had many not-so-thankful moments over the last few weeks.
When you're in a dry season, it can be hard to focus on what’s going right in your life instead of on what’s going wrong. The holidays are supposed to be a joyful time of year, but they can often make you think about the things you're lacking.
Thank God that we have His Word to encourage us!
1 Thessalonian 5:18 tells us to give thanks in all circumstances. All circumstances — the good ones and the bad ones. If God tells us to do it, it means that it’s possible.
When you're having trouble at your job, thank God that you have one. When you have no job, thank God for His promise to provide for your needs. When you're single, thank God for time to work on yourself and develop the characteristics you want in a future mate.
Instead of looking at your life from your perspective, ask God to help you to look at it from His perspective. Perspective is everything.
If we change our perspective from focusing on what we are lacking to seeing what God has done (and is doing) in and through our lives, we'll see that there's so much to be thankful for.
I want you to take a few moments to make a list of 10 things you're thankful for. I'll share mine with you.
1. I'm thankful for my family. We are far from the Brady Bunch, but I love my imperfectly, perfect family.
2. I'm thankful that I'm not who I used to be (Hallelujah! 🙌).
3. I'm thankful for my creative mind.
4. I'm thankful for you, my readers. When I feel like giving up, you show up in ways I never would've expected.
5. I'm thankful for purpose and a new identity in Christ.
6. I'm thankful for great friends.
7. I'm thankful for being able to pay my bills and living expenses.
8. I'm thankful for this amazing cup of homemade ginger tea that I'm sipping.
9. I'm thankful for God not always giving me what I want but always providing me with what I need.
10. I'm thankful for another day of life and an opportunity to be a blessing to someone.
"Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever."
- 1 Chronicles 16:34
Today's message is simple: give thanks in all circumstances.
You may not be where you want to be but thank God you're not who you used to be. Unless you are, then thank God for His mercy ;).
Have a great Thanksgiving!
Did you enjoy today's message? As always, I'd love to hear from you. Head on over to the discussion's page with your comments, stories, and/or questions. I look forward to chatting with you.
Know someone who'd benefit from today's message? Share it with a friend!
You were born to do great things!